Nietzsche - Letter to Jacob Burckhardt



Jan. 5  1889
Turin
Nietzsche's final letter


Dear Professor, when it comes right down to it I'd much rather have been a Basel Professor than God; but I didn't dare be selfish enough to forgo the creation of the world.  You see, one must make sacrifices, no matter how and where one lives. -- But I did secure a small room, fit for a student, opposite the Palazzo Carignano (in which I was born as Victor Emmanuel), from whose desk I'm able to hear that splendid music coming from below me, in the Galleria Subalpina.  I pay 25 frs. including service, make my own tea and do all my own shopping, suffer from torn boots, and constantly thank heaven for th eold world, whose inhabitants weren't simple and quiet enough. 

Since I am doomed to entertain the next eternity with bad jokes, I'm busy writing, which leaves nothing to be desired, is very nice and not at all taxing.  The post office is five steps away; I take the letters in myself, handing the great feuilletoniste over to high society.  Naturally I'm on intimate terms with Figaro.  And so that you'll have an idea of how harmless I can be, here are my first two bad jokes:

          Don't take the case of Prado too seriously.  I am Prado, I'm also Prado's father, and I venture to say I'm Lesseps too.  I wanted to give my Parisians, whom I love, a new concept - that of a decent criminal.  I'm Chambigne too - also a decent criminal.

          Second joke.  I salute the Immortals.  Monsieur Daudet belongs to the Forty.


What's unpleasant and a strain on my modesty is that in fact I am every historical personage; and as for the children I've brought into the world, I ponder with some misgiving the possibility that not everyone who enters the 'kingdom of God' also comes from God.  This fall, dressed as scantily as possible, I twice attended my funeral, the first time as Count Robilant (- no, he's my son, in so far as I'm Carlo Alberto in my nature here below), but I was Antonelli myself.  Dear Professor, really ought to see this edifice.  Since I'm quite inexperienced in the things I'm creating, you have a right to make any criticism; I'll be grateful, but can't promise that I'll profit from it.  We artists are incorrigible.

Today I looked at an operetta (ingeniously Moorish) and took the occasion to ascertain, with joy, that now both Moscow and Rome are grandiose affairs.  YOu see, my talent for landscape is undeniable as well. - Think it over, we'll have a really fine chat, Turin isn't far, no serious professional obligations tie us down, a glass of Veltiner could easily be procured.  Informal dress is de rigeur.

With heartfelt love.

Your Nietzsche


I go everywhere in my student coat, now and then slap someone on the back, and say: siamo contenti? son dio, ho fatto questa caricatura. [Is everything ok?  I am God, this farce is my creation.]

Tomorrow m son Umberto is coming here with lovely Margherita, but I'll receive her as well only in shirtsleeves.

The rest is for Frau Cosima - - Ariadne - -.  From time to time we practice magic.

I've had Caiphas put in chains; I too was crucified last year in a long, drawn-out way by German doctors.  Wilhelm Bismarck and all anti-Semites done away with!

You may make any use of this letter which will not lower me in the esteem of the people of Basel.




catalog








Gottlob Frege - Thought and Truth

 Truth as objective and residing in a 'third realm'. pdf