Chomsky Language Debate (Daniel Everett - aeon)

https://aeon.co/essays/why-language-is-not-everything-that-noam-chomsky-said-it-is

...It is likely that initially my work was picked up by the media because it was considered a problem for the core ideas of a man whom The New York Times sensationalistically labelled ‘the most important intellectual alive’, ie Chomsky. Looking back now, it is astounding that the point that has so inflamed my academic critics was my claim that the Pirahãs lacked subordinate clauses. You would have thought I had spit on a crucifix during church. I had, of course, expected someone to point out flaws in my reasoning or to give clear examples of data that I had missed or to conduct field research to test my claims. This is the norm in academic debates. But in the first round of criticisms, lasting for five years, what came my way instead was mainly name-calling...link



http://catalogplus.libraryweb.org/#section=resource&resourceid=885712235&currentIndex=1&view=fullDetailsDetailsTab

Schopenhauer primordial sin

  There is nothing more certain than the general truth that it is the grievous sin of the world which has produced the grievous suffering of...